Tuesday, April 28, 2015

National Library Week-Student Responses

April is National Library Month! I struggled with finding an activity to do with all of my students that would be meaningful AND help us celebrate National Library Month. I settled on transforming my students into authors. Each student was given the assignment of telling me what they loved about their library.

Kindergarten and first grade students began with the sentence "I love my library because..." They then illustrated their response.


I love my library because I can get a book from book fair and I get to sit on bean bags and I get to have a stuffted animal. -Taylor, first grade

 I love my library because it has books. -Henry, kindergarten
 
I love my library because Ms. Ashley. -Landon, first grade
**He assured me that I didn't look like that! It's a pigeon from Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.**


Second through sixth grades utilized their typing skills to write a paragraph or two about their library. I posted seven questions, and they picked two to answer. Second grade worked in a Word document, saved, and printed it. Third through sixth grade students composed their essay in their Google account. Most were able to print...but the Tech gods were not smiling on us the entire week and some students shared their document and I printed it later. We roll with the punches here!

I bound the essays by grade level using my handy, dandy CoverOne Book Binding machine (I found it STILL IN THE BOX in the back of the library).


Students have enjoyed reading each other's responses! I think I'll recycle this activity each year.

Some of my favorite responses:
Books are good for you.
I would be bored without the library.
Unlimited possibilities @ your library makes me feel free. Free to shout with joy and happiness. Free to do whatever I want and anything is possible.
My favorite thing about my school library is that is provides everyone with awesome books and has special programs like book fair.
I love my library because it is osm. (awesome)


7 comments:

  1. Ashley, did you make the sheet for K and 1st or did you download it somewhere? Thanks! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used handwritingworksheets.com to create my own K-1st sheet. I added two blank lines under "I love my library because" for the students to complete their response. As you can see, the first graders used up more space. I told them to think like an author/illustrator and be creative with their space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, congratulations on your new blog! This activity is wonderful. Do you mind if I use it in my library as an end of the year activity? Also, what type of questions did you ask the second through sixth graders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. What is your favorite thing about your school library?
      2. Why do you love you school library?
      3. What makes your school library great?
      4. How has your school library helped you?
      5. Why is your school library important?
      6. How would school be different without a school library?
      7. Describe what the theme "Unlimited possibilities @ your library" means to you.

      Several students asked if they could share their favorite memory or lesson, and I let them.

      Feel free to tweak the lesson and use it! I'd love to see the results!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, Ashley. You will enjoy blogging. This is great for TESS and your own reflective process! I have subscribed and can't wait to see your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stony! I've already compiled a list of topics on which to write.

      Delete
  5. This is a great way to highlight the important role libraries play in school culture! I need to subscribe to ur blog!

    ReplyDelete